Sunday, July 20, 2008

Wanni liberation bid heading for success; 18 terrorists killed in yesterday's clashes

Sri Lanka Armed Forces' bid to liberate Northern Province from the terror clutches reached further towards successes as troops continued give heavy beating to the terrorist on the Mannar- Vavuniya and Welioya fronts during yesterday's (July 19) operations. Finalized military reports received from battlefield indicate 18 deaths to the terrorists, 7 causalities and 5 others as either killed or wounded. A soldier laid down his life and 9 others suffered injuries during these operations.

On the Combined - Mannar Vavuniya front , troops operating under Army 57 division (Div) moved further ahead on the center of the front and had a series of clashes during the course of the day.

In the general area Karaiveddivempu troops of 571 Brigade confronted with a group of LTTE cadres around 8.15 last morning. Later, radio transmissions among LTTE elements confirmed 3 LTTE cadres were killed in this incident. Separately in the same area, LTTE launched mortars at troops around 4.30 in the evening wounding one soldier.

In the general area Murunkaiyadippuddi, troops of 571 Brigade confronted with a group of terrorists around 4.30 in evening . Ground troops claimed 5 terrorists were killed in the incident . Also, one soldier suffered injuries due to LTTE mortar fire.

Meanwhile, troops of 572 and 573 Brigades engaged in clearing operations in the Parappukkal and Pandiyankulam areas respectively found 750 ammo used for T-56 riffles, 8 hand grenades, 3 IEDs (Improvised Explosive Devices) and 5 AP mines (Anti Personnel) during the day.

Troops belonging to Task Force 2, operating the Eastern flank of the Mannar- Vavuniya front continued their offensives in the Navvi and Palaimodaai areas during the day.

In the Navvi area troops of 621 brigades attacked an LTTE bunker around 4.20 PM and claimed 3 terrorists were killed. Also, the same brigade troops confronted with a group of terrorists in the Palaimoddai area around 5.50 PM and claimed 4 terrorists were killed and 2 others wounded.

Troops of Task Force 1 operating in the Western flank of the Mannar - Vavuniya front, continued their march towards Iluppaikkadavai and halted at the southern limits of the buildup by last night,

Meanwhile, one soldier was killed and 4 others suffered injuries due to terror retaliatory attacks in the Kannaddi and Kaddadivayal areas during the day.

On the Welioya front, troops continued their march towards Mullaittiuvu and had series of clashes with the terrorist in the areas North of Janakapura and Kiriibbanwewa. According to the details obtained by both ground and radio monitoring sources , 3 terrorists were killed, 5 others wounded and 5 more were either killed or wounded during these operations. A soldier suffered wounds due to LTTE retaliatory fire in the North of Janakapura area last morning while 2 others suffered injuries in AP mine explosions in the North of Kiriibbanwewa area last evening.

Meanwhile, troops engaged in clearing operations in the North of Kiriibbanwewa area removed 254 AP mines 31 IEDs during the day.

Limited offensives are being continued.

No comments: