Sunday, July 13, 2008

APRC to resume sessions

The All Party Representative Committee (APRC) is to resume its session this week after a recess, its Chief and Minister Tissa Vitharana told reporters.

Vitharana said a Tamil minority party which won the recent elections in the Eastern Province had named its nominee to the APRC thereby permitting it to resume the sessions.

"The TMVP has named the Batticaloa Mayor Sivageetha Prabakaran as its nominee. We could now meet and discuss the rest of the issues", Vitharana said.

The TMVP or the Tamil Makkal Viduthalai Puligal is a breakaway faction of the Liberation Tigers of Tamil Eelam (LTTE). Its Deputy Leader Sivanesaturai Chandrakanthan became the Eastern Province's first Chief Minister in the election held on May 10.

Vitharana, who is also the Minister of Science and Technology said the APRC has finalised 90 per cent of the issues and the remaining 10 per cent of the issues could be thrashed out during the coming sessions.

The APRC came after President Mahinda Rajapaksa in early 2006 convened an all party panel to try and reach Southern political party consensus on the conflict in the North and East provinces.

Courtesy : Daily news

No comments: